Tuesday, November 17, 2015

How Circle Time Changed our Schooling and Relieved my Stress

I have to start this by saying that I have a really hard time with schedules. Unless someone else is expecting me by a certain time I'm not worried about when things get done. Laundry? I'm going to wait until there is no underwear to do it. Dishes? Pawned that chore onto my daughter. Homeschool activities? Does drawing all day count?

Of course there are days when I get super pumped about projects and then the opposite is true. I won't stop working until it's done...so kids you can raid the pantry because I won't be getting up from this sewing, book, etc. I also throw myself into the kids school and plan big units that can keep us busy all day.

After circle time we've started playing math games I found on Pinterest

And it is inevitable that a few days into one of those big projects/units I get totally burned out. That's how I've been feeling lately, I'm blaming it on the move. Now that we're all settled we were all anxious to start some regular school activities but I've been dragging my feet about it. I feel burned out.

Our current "schedule"
Luckily for me, before we moved I made a nifty list of things I was wanting to change about the way we do school. I'm happy to say that all of those things have been implemented as well as including a Circle Time in the mornings. And to be honest, Circle Time has been the crutch that I needed recently to get our days going.

Like I said, I've been feeling burned out, tired and run down. As I finally roll out of bed in the mornings I think, "Uh, school. What the heck are we going to do for school today. Maybe we'll just skip it. We'll probably end up reading sometime."

And then I remember Circle Time! Oh yeah, I can do this. If all I do today is Circle Time at least I know we've done something together. The funny thing is that once we're done with our 30 minutes of circle time activities I'm ready to keep going! It's like a jump start to my school brain and I'm ready to play math games and give everyone the individual attention that they need.

Our Circle Time starts with a weekly scripture and song. Then we discuss our schedule for the day (grocery shopping, playgroups, etc.) and read a few chapters from our read aloud (this week it's James and the Giant Peach, which we're all loving). THAT'S IT! I think keeping it simple is the key for me. If it was a ton of stuff or required any planning I wouldn't have the momentum in the morning to do it. But because it's simple I can do it and then keep going!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think! Thanks for commenting!