Monday, September 14, 2015

Teaching My Kids: the hardest part of my homeschool year

"The hardest part of homeschooling is TEACHING MY KIDS." This sounds like a ridiculous thing to say...isn't that what homeschool is?


Well guess what, IT'S TRUE! It's not that my kids are difficult or challenged in any way. For me it's that they are wonderfully individual. And because of that I can't just use the same curriculum.
I already have to wade through all the curriculum and options for the Bear to find what fits her needs and wants as a little learner. And instead of being able just duplicate that the next year for Buddy I have to start over completely! Which shouldn't be surprising, they're DIFFERENT PEOPLE with different learning styles, talents and interests.

It's like when they were babies. I thought because Buddy was baby #2 that I'd have everything figured out already...and then he got bruised gums from teething. It was the most horrifying thing I'd ever seen: big purple lumps where those dang teeth had been moving up and down for 2 weeks. But I digress...

In the introduction to "Better Than School," John Holt wrote, "It is tempting to think that most children have rather more orthodox ways of exploring and making sense of the world. But it is not so; all children move into the world in personal and idiosyncratic ways, and no two do it alike."

Although its not easy figuring out what is best for each of my kids, I feel more dedicated to this idea. I truly struggled to figure out what would be best for my little guy. I spent several hours before we began our official school year selecting curriculum...and then when I realized he hated it I didn't know what to do! It took me over a week of constant fretting to figure out I needed to let him play school games instead of trying to drill him! (The Bear loves to sit with workbooks and I just assumed Buddy would like them too.) If you'd like to read more about this "epiphany" you can do that HERE, HERE, and HERE.

My promise to my children, and to myself, is this: I will do my best to revel in all of our differences. We are all gloriously unique and I am going to look for each of our strengths so that we can better emphasize them in our learning.

4 comments:

  1. Yes! I agree, what works for one doesn't necessarily work for the next one :-) I am trying to learn to be flexible and move on to the next thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be so hard and frustrating to figure out what each child needs...but that's my job! Thanks for commenting Heather!

      Delete
  2. Lovely post! It's so true, every child is different. My daughter loves to write and take notes. My son despises it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Camie. That means a lot to me!

      Delete

I would love to hear what you think! Thanks for commenting!