Friday, September 18, 2015

Sticking to a Schedule: Week 4 Wrap-Up

Last week was a bit of a bust as far as a "normal" routine. I felt like a crazy lady trying to keep up with all my kids' activities and zero math was done.

This week was very "normal" because we didn't have any random trips out of town and stuck with our schedule. This may be because I took preventative action on Sunday to ensure a "successful" week.


I wrote down all the times we had appointments and classes first. Then I looked at our Italian unit and figured out what activities we still needed to finish and added them in throughout the week. Then I added in some Life of Fred and writing activities. I tossed in a couple reminders (to remember to go to the grocery store while big kids were in a class and to bring money for the Italian teacher). And finally I figured out our main meal plan and added that in there! If for some reason we didn't do an activity on the day it was planned we did it the next day.


We still had lots of free time to play with legos and stuffies. And now that I stopped drilling Will in math and writing he has really blossomed. He voluntarily makes up little addition songs, creates mini books about math and practices writing his name. It's been a GREAT WEEK!


It also poured buckets in the morning this week. My kids had so much fun exploring in the rain and mud. It's been so dry all summer that they forgot that water turns dirt black, they were amazed by this transformation. Squeaker (3) also had a blast watching the effect of transferring her wet hand-prints onto dry concrete.

My parents are coming into town this weekend, so our schedule may be a bit wonky this next week as far as getting much "schooling" done at home. But that's the benefit of homeschooling! We get to enjoy life's events rather than miss them!

8 comments:

  1. I love to see how kids learn on their own. I sometimes wonder if my five year old is retaining any information, and then he surprises me with something really creative or intelligent. It feels great to know that my hard work is paying off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree, Buddy is the same way (and is also 5!). I've figured out that letting him fidget while we read non-fiction is really helpful for him, so these days he plays with Legos while we read aloud. I always know I've caught his attention when he pops up so he can look at the picture!

      Delete
  2. Scheduling is the hardest... just when I think we are in a groove something bumps the apple cart and they spill all over the ground! Loop scheduling has really helped me not stress and make sure we are getting it all done! Saying Hi from think link up!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so true! Thanks for stopping by Kara!

      Delete
  3. Sticking to a schedule is the hardest part of homeschooling in my opinion! I've switched to a 6/1 schedule (6 weeks on, 1 week off) and we use that week off to plan all of our appointments. Even still, we've had to use that week for make up work that we have fallen behind on! I guess that's why we homeschool though, right? To just teach them how to do LIFE! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We end up doing a 1/1 schedule it seems like! The first week I'll have planned a unit and we do tons of fun stuff and everybody's happy. And then the second week my kids play a lot of math games on prodigy.com and ABCmouse.com because I'm too burned out to do much else...but they're still young.

      Delete
  4. I love that you're doing preplanning on Sunday to ensure a productive week! I have learned that I have to do that too. It's soo helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a great help to keep us on track, thanks for coming by Leslie!

      Delete

I would love to hear what you think! Thanks for commenting!