Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Homeschooling is Not a Competition

While reading this article about reading readiness, it hit me! I have felt like a successful homeschooling mom because the Bear (6 years old) is a precocious learner. Although I have provided the materials for her to learn the 3R's, I've also been taking credit for her natural propensity for book learning. "Look everyone! You can't judge me for homeschooling because my child knows how to read!"

I'm not successful because she's "advanced" for her age...I'm successful because I'm doing my best to provide her with the things she needs to thrive.

The same goes for Buddy. I think I've been so worried about being a failure because he isn't "advanced" in the 3R's for his age. I've been thinking that maybe I haven't spent as much time with him or given him what he needs to be like Ruth. But that isn't the case at all. I am being just as successful with him as with her, because I'm giving him what he needs to thrive...space.

I'm no longer pushing him to sit and sound things out or drill him in math facts. I'm letting him play with numbers and make his own name tags and experiment with scissors and paper. And I know that when the time is right he'll figure out how to read, just like Ruth did.

Everyone knows babies have a large range of when they begin to walk and talk. So why do we allow public schools to tell us all children should be reading at age 6 when some children aren't developmentally ready yet? In my case it was fear. I was worried I wasn't doing it right and didn't have faith in the learning process.

2 comments:

  1. I love your new look and your thoughts on teaching. When it comes down to it we are all teachers, some not as good as others and you are a fantastic educator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that's so nice! We're all trying our best to magnify our talents.

      Delete

I would love to hear what you think! Thanks for commenting!