Saturday, August 1, 2015

Homeschooling for Mama Laws Mama


I love homeschooling! And I honestly believe that anyone with the will can do it. I am not an overly patient person...I'd even say I'm pretty short tempered, but as this has become our way of life, I've learned to be more patient. I do still occasionally have day dreams of sending my two school-aged children off on that big yellow bus...but most days I am completely happy and satisfied with the choices our family has made. 


After all, there is nothing more rewarding than struggling with your child for months to learn the sounds of each letter, to one day hear them say, "Mom! That sign! It says...STOP!" She was about 4.5 when that day happened, (yes, she's very precocious in just about every way possible) and I'm pretty sure I cried and laughed and cheered.

It's so rewarding to be the one your little people express their mathematical thinking to. "Mom! 3 and 3 and 3...makes 9." He had just turned 5, and was already thinking about multiplication.


Homeschooling, to me, is just a natural extension of motherhood. I was there for their first smiles, laughs, crawls, steps. I was the first to read board books, picture books and non-fiction books to them. And now I'm the one who gets to help them sound out their first words and write their first math problems.

I must admit however, that I don't know that I would have had the confidence to do it if I hadn't gotten my teaching certificate. Some days I feel that I am capable or more qualified because of that. And in my early days of explaining to friends that I wouldn't be sending my oldest to preschool, I used that as a crutch, because I wasn't brave enough to just tell them I was going to homeschool ... I didn't want to be weird.

But now with a little experience in my pocket I can see that homeschooling really could be for anyone who wants to do it! So, go get 'em mama! You can do it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think! Thanks for commenting!